I learned from the Bugzilla-dev email list that the Google Summer of Code is taking applications starting tomorrow.
Of course, Mozilla is a sponsor, and Bugzilla is a Mozilla project, and we’d like be involved. Some of the top Bugzilla developers are interested in mentoring (and I would be too, if I were any kind of a mentor — I could be a cheerleader.) The Bugzilla summer of code page is here if you’d like to apply.
I know I would if I were a student. I’m going to be working on some Bugzilla integration with QA Site, really soon now.
By the way, an interesting project that I might check out when I have the time is Tikal, which has a new UI for Bugzilla that I like the look of, as well as support for tasks, etc..
Anyway, here’s my ideas for Summer of Code projects for Bugzilla:
Here’s some ideas for projects:
- More charts and graphs (the kids love the graphics)
- Outlook (or Evolution) plugin
- Firefox extension (I saw a request for this on Guru.com recently)
- Automatic bug submissions from build, test tools (e.g, Ant, Selenium)
- Bugzilla based social network (Assignees == Friends/?)
- Template UI loader/switcher (like in a CMS)
Any other ideas? Let me know or go to the Bugzilla Summer of Code 2008 Community page.